Saturday, April 18, 2009

Zero Dollars Per Gallon

Now that my hip surgery is over, I am in recovery and have not been allowed to exercise in months and months. My doctor told me to now bike and/or swim. So, I had to admit that my current bike was too small, as it's the same bike I have had since I was 13 or so. The Pink Schwinn. I have never ever ridden another bike, so I had no idea where to start or what kind of bike to get. But I knew I needed a BIGGER bike, and that I wanted to just bike locally, maybe to the grocery store and bike, stuff like that. I can't commute by bike to work because I work nights and have a 35 mile commute through some very dicey neighborhoods. So I did some research, tested out some bikes, and decided on a Specialized hybrid bike that I am enjoying very much.

But now that I found out about the new Bicycle Commuter Act, I am even more bummed that I can't commute to work. This new act, which started January 1 2009, entitles employers to reimburse their employees up to $20.00 a month to cover bicycle commuting costs, and was part of the Renewable Energy Tax legislation with the aim to give bike commuters similar compensation to people who receive credits for taking transit cars to and from work. Visit the League of American Bicyclists for more information!

And buy one of these awesome patches for your messenger bag.

No comments: