Monday, April 21, 2008

Those Times I Waited On You Seem So Long Ago

I am finally all moved in to my very first all-mine home. I haven't really blogged about it because I was scared I would somehow jinx it all (the closing, the move - all of it). And then after closing I was packing and moving and was too busy to blog. But I am officially all moved in and in the process of unpacking and the internet is finally working. And I am making LOTS of trips to Home Depot and Lowe's. Which brings up an interesting dilemma which I rarely experienced as a loft-dweller.

What does a young, single, home-owning woman, whose "in case of emergency" is still her mother, do when she needs help with something that she physically cannot do alone? Sure, it is great to have my own house, and not have to share it with someone. All closet space is mine, no compromising on wall color or decor, only my car to fit in the garage, and just my own laundry to do. It's great. However, last night I experienced my first "uh oh, what now" moment. You see, my house did not come with a microwave. And how did people survive before microwaves? I don't have an answer for that. But I have been without one for one week and that's far too long for me. I had a "10% off any purchase" coupon for Lowe's. A friend was supposed to go with me but she bailed on me at the last minute (seems to be the trend these days), so off I went. Upon arrival I quickly hit the Lawn section for a hose and some weed killer. Then to the Appliances section. I (of course) had to buy GE, so I found a great microwave that came with a built-in browner. There was just one left. I grabbed the handle of the box and pulled. Yeah...not gonna happen. Turns out microwaves are heavy. Especially the stainless steel ones. So I let one of the employees in the Appliance section know that I need help. And I wait. And I wait. And then I walk back over to make sure they can see me. And then I put my hand on my hip and look really bored with with a smidge of annoyance in my eyes. Then a guy said he'd be right with me. Then I waited some more.... Finally he got the microwave down for me and said he'd meet me at checkout to load it into my car. After I checked out he was loading it in the car and asked "Do you have someone at home to help you get this inside?" Um, no. No I don't. Hmmmm....

Of course, if you know me, you know that once I got home I tried my hardest to get that thing out myself. Tried but no luck. Arghhh. I hate asking for help. And besides - who am I gonna ask? I start wondering how my mom did all this and raised a kid alone. She was awesome. She had table saws and jigsaws and cut her own quarter round and fixed toilets and did her own landscaping and killed spiders. I can DO THIS. Ahhh, but I can't lift the microwave alone and get through the door alone. And I can't leave it in my car all night and risk my car getting broken into. I don't need my car insurance going up on top of everything else.

So, I admit defeat and walk across the street and ask my neighbor for help. Good thing I had met them the week before. Neighbors - what a concept! So they helped me get the microwave inside, and between the 3 of us we finally got it out of the box. Then of course it didn't fit on the table I had for it, so they graciously cut me a table top out of some extra wood they had. I plugged it in and set the clock and voila, I'm done right?

Wrong. that's when I realize that the box did not contain the glass spinny-tray thing that it should have. (hands on hips) Back to Lowe's....

But before I head out to Lowe's again I think I'll bake my neighbors some cookies.

No comments: